The most importatnt thing that I've learned in class is that it's not so much as to how you start in life but how you finish. You see in everything that I do, ranging from relational leadership to goals to discovering what my purpose is in life, comes with a response to success or failure and back to a response that determines how you finish in life.
For the last several years I’ve pretty much been on auto pilot without truly giving any serious thought as to what I really need or desire that will bring me joy, contentment, satisfaction, peace, accomplishment, and fulfillment. I’ve had steady employment but with no inner fulfillment. My family and friends have been supportive and good to me. There was a time when I use to hear those words, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” At this point in my life I’m not hearing those words. There are times that I feel that I’ve missed my season and now I’m in the season of hurry up mixed with fickle feelings of hope and discouragement. But I truly believe that’s about to change.
After doing an inventory of my life and reflecting on the assignments that I’ve written in the last three months in the Leadership for Change class, I realize that I love knowledge and wisdom and I like to be engaged in activities and issues that affect us as an individual and a community as whole with solutions. I’ve learned that here are times where I do talk entirely too much when I need to be allowing others the opportunity to express their thoughts and perspectives on issues. Not that my way is the only way, for I am an open minded person, but just out of respect of giving them the floor. It is through this class that I’ve come to learn that inclusiveness and interdependency are stepping stones to building healthy relationships. I’ve learned to stop trying to please and take care of everyone else while neglecting my own personal and family needs but to find balance along the journey of life. I learned not to take on multiple activities that cause harm to self, family and friends. But most importantly I’ve learned that whatever I do in this life, ranging from relationships to goals, success or failure is inevitable but it’s how I respond to the success, failures, and the ups and downs in life that determines the manifestation of my life. I can either allow the situation to defeat me or I can defeat it. The choice is mine to finish strong!
What 3 things would you suggest to improve Leadership for Change next semester?
• Leadership requires interpersonal communication. Have an assignment that requires students to give some type of speech in front of the class.
• Spend More Time Emphasizing the Importance of Relational Leadership(specifically inclusiveness and interdependency)
• At the very onset of class have students start working on their Touchstones ASAP!
I can’t think of anything, at the present moment, that I liked least about the Leadership for Change class but I can say that I am truly inspired by the Spirit, Love, Inclusiveness, and Teaching of Professor Rockquemore. I like her teaching style. I like how she engages the class. I like her passion for what she does/do. She first makes the class come alive and then the topic or subject.
I’ve learned by observation that you may have all the knowledge and understanding of a particular topic or subject but that doesn’t do you any good if you don’t know how to convey that knowledge, wisdom, experience, and understanding that you posse to your students in order for them to come away enlightened, alive, and inspired.
Professor Rockquemore is truly a remarkable woman, wife, and Professor that is vibrant with much life and color. It has truly been a blessing and a privileged to be in her class but I personally understand that with that privileged comes a challenge and a responsibility that she has so eloquently passed along to all of us that I look forward to picking up and carrying, only to someday pass it along in the Spirit of Truth and Love.
Well done, good, and faithful servant Professor Kerry Ann Rockquemore, Ph.D.
For the first time I will be involved in two research projects and two hands on experience that I expect to be done in a year. Thank you Professor Rock!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

this is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank You.
ReplyDelete