Monday, March 30, 2009

ASSIGNMENT #10: GET INTO ACTION

Exercise #1: First Steps

Today in class, you documented your next steps for this week and next week. Specifically, you have written down two tasks that you need to complete to start working towards your goal. DO THEM and blog about it.

1)Originally my goal was to obtain my Master’s Degree in Psychology but after soul searching I’ve decided to pursue my Ph.D or Psy.D in Psychology.

2)I quick my State Job to pursue my goals.

3)I felt both excited and discouraged about this whole process. Excited because I saw it as an embryonic prelude to a new spiritual awakening. Discouraged, after researching various schools and their requirements, many require that you submit your applications in December in order to enroll for the 2010 fall semester therefore I only have 6 months to study for the GRE. If I don’t receive the GRE score I’m looking for, I’ll just have to apply next year for the 2011 fall semester. I pray that I do above on the GRE.

4.) Last week I purchased the following materials to prepare for the GRE. (See Below)

5.)I also signed up for the free Kaplan/ Princeton Review GRE classes and Practice test starting in April throughout the year. I have already begun studying for the GRE. Will take test in October.


Reference Materials via Library & Internet

Graduate Study in Psychology, 2009 Edition is the best source of information related to graduate programs in psychology and provides information related to approximately 600 graduate programs in psychology in the U.S. and Canada (My Focus, Chicago). Graduate Study in Psychology contains information about

• number of applications received by a program
• number of individuals accepted in each program
• dates for applications and admission
• types of information required for an application (GRE scores, letters of recommendation, documentation concerning volunteer or clinical experience, etc.)
• in-state and out-of-state tuition costs
• availability of internships and scholarships
• employment information of graduates
• orientation and emphasis of departments and programs
• plus other relevant information

Gradschools.com (The Most Comprehensive online resource of graduate school information.)

Study Guides (Last week I purchased the following materials to prepare for the GRE.)


1.) Kaplan GRE Exam 2009 Premier Program (w/ CD-ROM)
2.) Cracking the GRE with DVD, 2009 Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation) by Princeton Review (Author)

School Choices (I’ve requested information to be sent to me)
Chicago School of Professional Psychology(2nd Choice – Will Apply)
DePaul University (6th)
Illinois Institute of Technology (4th Choice – Will Apply)
Loyola University of Chicago (5th Choice)
Midwestern University – Downers Grove (7th Choice)
Northwestern University (3rd Choice – Will Apply)
University of Illinois at Chicago (1st Choice – Will Apply)

1 comment:

  1. dont worry you will get the score that you want.:)stay positive

    ReplyDelete